Thursday, 9 July 2020

HUB Ornithology with Dr.Rom at his Bird Sanctuary in MoorookaThe lorikeets have disappeared, but there have been additions to the family of Blue-faced Honeyeaters (Entomyzon cyanotis). Here I discuss some original theories about bird and human evolution, which I wrote about some years ago. These include the hypothesis that the unique human voicebox (larynx) evolved because of humans mimicking birds. It has been previously noted by biologists and anthropologists that the main reason chimpanzees, bonobos and gorillas cannot speak like humans is due to differences in their larynx. Ancestral hominids would have several evolutionary reasons for mimicking the the sounds of birds and forces of natural selection would have favoured those with this capacity - both for hunting and singing. I also have a hypothesis that the unique Megalopodes known as "Australian Brush Turkeys" or "Scrub Turkeys" (though they are not related to real turkeys) are related to the Australian dinosaur known as Muttaburrasaurus. Though "dinosaur" means "terrible lizard" these animals were probably more like flightless birds than lizards in their behaviour, at least some of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment